vendredi 30 décembre 2011

No-Hitter At Last

I've been to hundreds of minor and major league baseball games through the years, and you can even throw in lots of college games, and last night at Dickey-Stephens Park in North Little Rock I witnessed something I've never seen. Ryan Brasier threw a 9-inning no-hitter. The first in the new park ever and the first in the Texas League since 2002. What a night! It was "Bark At the Park" night so lots of people brought their dogs, which was sort of entertaining in itself, and a full moon hovered over the stadium as he threw his gem. Awesome night.

It looks like that's my last game of the weekend as the forecast calls for storms the entire time, but at least 2 new films hit the theaters and 1 of them really makes me want to break my month long theaterless streak. Here's more on both:

Furry Vengeance

The Plot: A real estate developer (Brendan Fraser) looking to turn a forest into new homes faces some unusually tough competition: the local woodland creatures.
My Thoughts: Looks like a family/comedy flick that relies on slapstick humor... and from what I've seen it looks like it's going to suck. Take the kids though I guess, they might get a kick out of it.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

The Plot: Disfigured serial killer Freddy Krueger (Jackie Earle Haley) stalks a group of young people in their dreams, forcing them to remain awake as the only alternative to death.
My Thoughts: Seriously, this looks awesome. I've been following the progress for over a year and it's FINALLY in theaters so I'm going to definitely get out to see it. I watched all of the 8 films in the original series in the last month just to prepare. Jackie Earle Haley looks like a perfect pick for the new Freddy and from what I've seen, they're going more with real horror than the ridiculous comedy front-man that Freddy became in the series. Great news.