samedi 31 décembre 2011

Bourbon Street Bound

So Kid Rock sings about The Big Easy in his aptly named song "New Orleans"...

A jukebox shakin' and breakin' down in New Orleans
I'll be the highest hillbilly that Bourbon Street has ever seen

Perhaps he had me in mind? He might as well have, because I'm making my way down there later today with food, fun, beer and sightseeing all on the list for 3 days. I've been before, a few times actually, but my last visit was over a decade ago so I think it's time to reacquaint myself with the area. And when I go somewhere to visit I want to make sure I soak it all in. I start early, sometimes months in advance, reading about the area and history and looking for places to go and things to do.

For this trip I've watched some movies based in the area like 12 Rounds, Deja Vu, Double Jeopardy, King Creole, The Reaping, The Skeleton Key, Hatchet and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. What did I learn? Well, nothing I guess really that's usable.

I've also made a CD with some songs for the drive to get more geared up, from Fats Domino's "Walkin' To New Orleans" to Down's "New Orleans is a Dying Whore" and plenty in between like "New Orleans Ladies" by Le Roux, "Queen of New Orleans" by Jon Bon Jovi and "Ghosts Of Jackson Square" by Edwin McCain . So what did I learn from this? Well, again... nothing. But hey I'll have some songs stuck in my head as I walk around.

The top of my list of restaurants... Tujague's, Acme Oyster House, Superior Grill and Jagerhaus.

The top of my places to get some brew... Crescent City Brewhouse, Erin Rose, The Avenue Pub and Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop.

I plan on hearing some tunes at The Bombay Club and Famous Door, drinking a hurricane from Pat O'Briens and soaking up some jazz at Preservation Hall.

I've created a couple of walking tours from our hotel to take in plenty of touristy sites, starting with a morning cup of chicory coffee from Café du Monde, followed by a walking tour of the quarter, St. Louis Cathedral, a giant muffuletta for lunch at Central Grocery, a stroll down the Moonwalk and some shopping in the area before dinner. Probably on the 2nd day we'll take the St. Charles Ave. Streetcar over to the Garden District for some sightseeing, including a walk around Lafayette No. 1 Cemetery. Somewhere in there we'll probably squeeze in Audubon Aquarium of the Americas.

Whew. I'm tired and I haven't even left yet. New Orleans is a different, unique city and I plan on having a unique time.