lundi 26 décembre 2011

How To Train Your Hot Tub

It's fantastic not just because it's Friday, but lots of cool stuff today. Myself, well I've been watching the weather to decide if I'm driving up to Fayetteville tomorrow for a couple of college baseball games and various beer/NCAA tourney activities over the weekend. They're calling for t-storms and rain/wind etc for most of the weekend up there so no worries... I'll just stay around here and have plenty to do. Of course there's what I consider the best weekend of the NCAA tourney with all the podunk teams out of the way and not so many games on that you can't keep up. Last night's Kansas St/Xavier double-OT game last night was one of the best games I've ever seen for the record.

Tonight on Showtime is Strikeforce Challengers VII: Johnson vs. Mahe live from Fresno, Calif. There's not a lot of names I know on the card, but these shows almost always end up being a lot of fun and by the end of the show I have some new favorite fighters. Here's the main televised card:

* Lavar Johnson vs. Lolohea Mahe
* George Bush III vs. Ron "Abongo" Humphrey
* Andre Galvao vs. Luke Stewart
* Zoila Frausto vs. Miesha Tate
* Justin Wilcox vs. Shamar Bailey

And it's a good night for the DVR tonight as over on Turner Classic Movies they've declared it Ray Harryhausen night and are showing 3 of the special effects wizard's films, all of which I don't own on DVD, so that's pretty cool. They're showing Jason and the Argonauts (1963), the original Clash of the Titans (1981) and a favorite of mine growing up, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973). This would only be better if they added Mighty Joe Young, The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad and Mystery Island but hey I'll take what I can get.

Tomorrow night is UFC 111 of course.

If all that wasn't enough, 2 huge movies open in the theaters today as well and here's a quick peek at those:

Hot Tub Time Machine

Plot: Four guy friends, all of them bored with their adult lives, travel back to their respective 80s heydays thanks to a time-bending hot tub.
My Thoughts: I'm so happy this is finally in theaters. Not so I can go see it, but so they won't run the freakin' commercials over-and-over all night long! I get it, it's a "hot tub time machine" so shut the hell up already! What was the advertising budget on this? A billion dollars? Seriously, it looks pretty funny though and love both John Cusack and Craig Robinson (Darrell on The Office) so I'll check it out on video I'm sure. More good news.... Rated R for strong crude and sexual content, nudity, drug use and pervasive language. Hell yeah.

How To Train Your Dragon


Plot: Young Viking Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third (voice of Jay Baruchel) is sent to the Isle of Berk in the North Sea, where he is to subdue a dragon as a rite of passage.
My Thoughts: No way this can miss. Dreamworks Animation completely rules and 3-D is the latest movie going fad. I'm a bit torn though, because as much as I'd like to see it, the average price of a 3-D ticket is being raised 26% starting this weekend nationwide. As if the prices aren't high enough? The only way to make a stand would be if everybody boycotted this. Hell it's up to around $15 now and I can just wait and grab the DVD for probably that price or the Blu-ray for just a little more. It's not the same as the jumbo screen, but damn the prices are just out of hand. But back to the point... the film looks great.