mercredi 28 décembre 2011

And So It Begins...

I don't care what the "official" word is, Summer starts for me on Memorial Day weekend. The theaters are packed with new blockbusters and waiting on more, most of the TV shows are on hiatus so you'll get outside, the lakes are hopping and I'm working furiously to try to get in swimsuit shape. Ah Summer. How I've missed you. The beer is colder and the air is muggier it seems. Let's start it.

I'll be at Riverfest tonight for both the Gary Allan and Cross Canadian Ragweed sets and I might catch a little bit of The Little River Band while I'm there. Tomorrow we're off to the lake to kick the boat off, then back for the Trav's game and following that up with hopefully some Uncle Kracker, Lucero, Blake Shelton, Jimmy Wayne and The Black Crowes back at Riverfest. Back to the lake Sunday then home for a cook-out Sunday evening. The hot tub is clean and fresh, I'm mowing the yard after work today and the grill is clean and ready. It's on.

Oh yeah, there's also this:


The first game in the best rivalry in baseball is this afternoon, then afternoon games on Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully the Cards can build on a nice little offensive output last night and the end of Pujols' RBI and HR "slump". If he gets hot like he can... oh boy. The Cubs are throwing Wells, Carlos Silva and Dempster for the 3 games so that's a solid trio. Should be a blast.

And there's a UFC PPV tomorrow night! I'm going to have to skip it though, too much going on already.

Despite the fact that I'm way behind at the theaters (haven't been in nearly 2 months... unheard of for me) I'm still watching the new openings and hoping I can work something in. Here's what's out:

Sex and the City 2

The Plot: While wrestling with the pressures of life, love, and work in Manhattan, Carrie, Miranda, and Charlotte join Samantha for a trip to Morocco, where Samantha's ex is filming a new movie.
My Thoughts: I never saw the first one, never will, and this one sounds just as horrible for anyone with a penis to view.

Survival of the Dead

The Plot: National Guardsmen, thinking they have found refuge from a zombie army on an island off the coast of Delaware, soon realize they've wedged themselves between two warring families who differ on what should become of the undead.
My Thoughts: I love George Romero, but lately his films have been better suited as direct-to-video really. I'm going to treat this one as such too. It's great to see another "...Of The Dead" from him, but hardly something to get excited about (unless maybe it was near Halloween).

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

The Plot: Set in medieval Persia, a rogue prince (Jake Gyllenhaal) joins a mysterious princess (Gemma Arterton) in an effort to prevent a dark force from obtaining an ancient dagger that allows its handler to rule the world.
My Thoughts: This all seems pretty much like deja vu from about 10 other "swords and sandals" films. I'll probably wait and just rent this one.