lundi 26 décembre 2011

Movie Review: Sorority Row

Synopsis: A group of sorority sisters try to cover up the death of their house-sister after a prank gone wrong, only to be stalked by a serial killer.

I only recently watched 1983's The House on Sorority Row and wasn't too crazy about it, so when this hit the theater back in October I completely ignored it despite the load of sexy gals on the poster. Now having seen it I think it's only fair to say it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be and better than the original. In fact, it shares very little in common with the original other than the fact that it involves sorority sisters and a prank gone wrong.

There are definitely plenty of eye-catching women running around in next-to-nothing so that's a major plus. My personal favorite is the incredibly gorgeous Jamie Chung, who I could just pause the DVD and stare at for hours. Briana Evigan, Audrina Patridge and Leah Pipes all do similar things to my dreams. There are plenty of other sisters in Theta Pi that make me want to go to their parties even at the risk of death by psycho slasher. The sorority parties are ridiculously over-the-top but it's sort of funny really, as it seems to be making fun of the sorority lifestyle, not trying to be realistic.

The movie is definitely nothing original but hell it's a slasher film, what do you expect? It reminds me a lot of the Scream films and the Urban Legend series. I like the way it's very slickly and stylishly shot, enjoyed the inventive death sequences, laughed at a lot of the cynical and snide humorous dialog and played along with the classic murderer guessing game. I felt like it never really took itself too seriously and played right along with what it was.

It's nothing special nor is it exactly Bill Shakespeare, but if you're into slasher films I think it's a fun little flick. And the eye candy. Oh my, the eye candy.

6/10