vendredi 21 octobre 2011

Movie Review: Psych 9

Synopsis: A young woman (Sara Foster) with a troubled past takes a job at recently closed down hospital. Working the night shift alone she begins to experience a series of unsettling events that lead her to believe that the hospital may be connected to a number of recent murders in the area. To uncover the truth she will have to revisit the past behind the walls of Psych:9.

Part ghost story, part serial killer movie, one thing it definitely is and that's "confusing". It just sorts of goes off in all directions, throws some twists and turns, then ends without really making any sense or explaining what the hell has been going on. Am I supposed to figure some of it out on my own? Sure, and I did. I think. Hell I still don't know!

It had an excellent creepy location and vibe to it and the acting was just fine, it's just the script that I thought had all the problems. The character, especially the lead, was just really unlikable. Sure she had an unthinkable tragedy happen in her past but instead of being sympathetic I found her pathetic. Whiney and hateful, I sort of wanted her husband to smack her face the whole time. And most of the best scenes are pretty derivative of other films in the genre actually, yet they're still pretty effective and served to get my hopes up.

This just felt incomplete in the end. Imagine sort of a cross between Session 9 and Black Swan maybe, yet nowhere near as good as either, and then nothing is really answered satisfactorily. I don't need to be spoon fed by any means, but I sort of want to feel like at least the people making the movie actually knew what was happening and why.

A jumbled mess, which is too bad as it had potential.

4/10