vendredi 10 septembre 2010

Resident Beer and Evil

It's been a long week to say the least. I was supposed to be on my way home from New Orleans today, but more important matters intervened and let's just say I'm ready for things to get back to normal. I did that just last night at a great beer tasting at The Flying Saucer, my favorite local watering hole. It was their 2010 Fall Beer Tasting with New Belgium Brewery. Check out the menu:

Appetizer: Mango Gazpacho Soup
Entree: Pork Roulade w/Fig Glaze and Sweet Potato Hash
Desert: Bread Pudding w/Vanilla Ice Cream

And paired with all that was 5 different New Belgium beers:

Le Fleur Misseur
Belgian Style Blonde Ale
Bier de Mars
Transatlantique Kriek
Hoptober

So yes, it was quite a nice time. There were no beers I hadn't tried before but I love New Belgium products as a whole and the Hoptober and Le Fluer Misseur are great beers I think. The speaker was Jeff Sipes and he knows his beer and made it an even more fun, tasty and informative evening.

But on to this weekend! More college football, a Sunday chock full of pro football and the Cardinals will probably continue to suck. So hey, something for everyone. For some reason there's only one new wide release at the theaters, and that's the 4th film in the Resident Evil series called Resident Evil: Afterlife. And of course, it's in 3D. Why would it be otherwise? The series has done OK but none of the films have really been anywhere near blockbuster status. Here's the domestic grosses:

Resident Evil (2002) - $40,119,709
Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004) - $51,201,453
Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) - $50,648,679

So I would expect more of the same from the 4th film, with maybe a little boost from the higher ticket prices. Ali and Milla are still in it, so it's gonna be sexy fo' sho'. Let's have a closer looksee:

Resident Evil: Afterlife (3D)

Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
Stars: Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter, Wentworth Miller

The Plot: As the T-Virus continues to spread, Alice (Jovovich) maintains her mission to find survivors and keep them safe from the Undead, and to take down the Umbrella Corporation. Reteaming with Claire (Larter), Alice makes a dangerous journey to a new city that is said to be a safe haven: Los Angeles.
My Thoughts: Well, I've seen the first 3 several times over and I expect more butt whipping zombie action from this one. It's not exactly a chick flick nor is it Schindler's List. Viruses... yada yada... tight pants... yada yada... blood and guts... yada yada... sign me up.