mardi 28 septembre 2010

Movie Review: Prince of Persia

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Synopsis: A young fugitive prince (Jake Gyllenhaal) and princess (Gemma Arterton) must stop a villain who unknowingly threatens to destroy the world with a special dagger that enables the magic sand inside to reverse time.

This is pretty much just another in a series of movies to be adapted from a video game and also another trying to be the next Pirates of the Carribbean franchise. Replace Johnny Depp with Jake and replace Kiera Knightly with Gemma and put a lot of sword fighting and over-the-top actions sequences and adventure and presto... Prince of Persia.

But you know what? I don't mean any of that in a bad way. I love this sort of crap. It's a lot better than most video game adaptations, it's entertaining and it's just damn fun. No substance of course, but good stunts and action and some laughs make for a fun film for my entertainment dollar. At times I thought it was sort of a throwback to the classic adventures of Sinbad I used to watch as a lad. Of course, the special effects are a lot more current and flashy and the action sequences are more wild.

I never got the feeling it was trying to be anything too deep either. The film promised to be dumb, knew it was dumb and delivered with big dumb fun. Where do I sign up for the sequel?

7/10