vendredi 20 août 2010

Movie Review: Danika

Synopsis: The story follows Danika (Marisa Tomei), a woman near breakdown whose fears for her children are manifested in premonitions of death and disaster. Craigh Bierko plays Tomei's husband, while Regina Hall is her psychiatrist and confidant.

One of my main reasons that I checked this out was that Marisa Tomei is in it, I must admit. But it's just an OK psychological thriller with many twists and turns that builds a lot of tension and uses some shocking visuals as flashbacks, then it throws a big "twist" of sorts at the end. The problem for me was that it was dragging a bit too much and by the pay-off I was sort of bored with it. The pay-off itself was OK, but a bit of head-scratcher as to what just happened for the entire movie then. I know what they were shooting for, it just didn't work for me. I can't say any more without ruining it for you.

Having said all that, as an abstract film I'm sure this could really find it's niche with people who like this sort of thing more than me. I enjoyed it for what it is, which is a nice drama about a woman protecting her family from harm... or trying to. Give it a shot.

6/10