mardi 19 octobre 2010

Movie Review: How To Train Your Dragon

Synopsis: A hapless young Viking who aspires to hunt dragons becomes the unlikely friend of a young dragon himself, and learns there may be more to the creatures than he assumed.

Visually stunning with a great story to boot, this is probably going to end up my favorite film yet from Dreamworks Animation. That's saying quite a bit too because I'm a pretty big fan of both the Madagascar and Shrek series as well as Kung Fu Panda.

There's just a lot of great inventive action that looks fantastic. It's also a pretty smart film with a nice social message about empathy for your fellow animals. Kids will enjoy it as well as adults with enough humor aimed at both.

The voice cast is perfect, but I thought Jay Baruchel stole the show as Hiccup. Equal parts sympathetic and sarcastically funny, he felt like a very modern character in an ancient time.

But back to what really makes this stand out to me... the look. The whole setting and scenery is just gorgeous throughout with fantastic lighting. The characters, especially the big bulky Vikings, are just a treat to the eyes and exactly as I feel like they should look: burly, boisterous and unstoppable. My favorite thing though is the creativity and the look of the dragons, especially Toothless. They give it so much character without it ever saying a word. It's like a big kitten, that also flips a switch and becomes the most badass dragon ever. All the dragons bring something pretty cool to the table and I wanted to see more of each.

Awesome film for the whole family, I now just wish I'd have seen it in 3D on the big screen.

9/10