jeudi 7 octobre 2010

Movie Review: Frozen

Synopsis: Without anyone else aware, three skiers are stranded high up on a chairlift well up the mountain and forced to make life-or-death choices that prove more perilous than staying put and freezing to death.

This is one of those horror movies that's scary because you can really put yourself in their place and see something like this happening. The set-up as they get stranded is pretty believable and it all feels pretty plausible as the suspense and sense of peril build. Personally I have a fear of heights so I was sort of getting nervous very often.

I found the 3 main characters fairly likable and real and that's important as they're on the screen basically the entire time. Occasionally I think it veers off a bit and gets boring, but that's not often as it's much more of a suspensful type film of terror than an all out horror film filled with action. It's subtle as it builds and then tense and effictive, not in-your-face.

There's some gore, so I'd recommend if you have a fear of frostbite, the flagpole scene in A Christmas Story or perhaps a fear of wolves you might get very uncomfortable a few times. Just a warning.

The choreograhpy was a tough task I'm assuming, as the story mostly takes place dangling well above the ski slopes, but it's very inventively shot and looks great. Like I said, my fear of heights was tested often.

One complaint... there's really just enough material here for an hour probably, so there's a bit of what feels like filler. Overall though it's a fun chiller. (get it? chiller? I kill!)

7.5/10