dimanche 10 octobre 2010

Movie Review: The Fourth Kind

Synopsis: A thriller involving an ongoing unsolved mystery in Nome, Alaska, where the town has seen an extraordinary number of unexplained disappearances during the past 40 years and there are accusations of a federal cover up.

A strange movie I thought. I liked the subject matter and think it had some great moments, but the approach was just odd. They tried to give it a more realistic feel I guess by using what they claimed was "real" footage along with more traditional story-telling. To me it was just distracting and sort of took me out of the moment of trying to get involved. For instance, the actress who played the "real" main doctor was fugly and then she was played by Milla Jovovich in the movie scenes, who is hot. It distracted me when they'd put the footage of the 2 side-by-side.

But anyway... other than that odd approach, I found it a very entertaining film with some good shocks and intriguing story. It's sort of like a pseudo-documentary and sort of like an X-Files episode of alien abduction. It's story driven horror/sci-fi with no big special effects. It gets a bit confusing at times but when it all plays out it leaves a lot of the blanks filled in and a few for you to sleep on.

In the end I think it might be a better film if I'd just chosen to go one way or the other instead of mixing the styles, but I was still entertained with the story. Had I not known it was all fiction and perhaps gotten more involved in the realistic side of it, I might have enjoyed it more. Still... worth a watch for genre fans.

6/10