vendredi 24 décembre 2010

Movie Review: Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Synopsis: Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) must defeat his new girlfriend's seven evil exes in order to win her heart.

I wasn't too sure what to expect from this after seeing the previews and not being a fan of the comic, and right off the bat it's easy to see I was in for something different and original. It's quirky and set in sort of a fantasy comic/video game world, not reality. The scene cuts and action are all very much in this world, and it does take a bit of getting used to and once you accept this, it all just feels right. If this isn't what you are expecting you're probably going to dislike this, unless maybe you have A.D.D. I guess.

It's funny, flashy, innovative and the special effects are pretty eye-popping. I like the characters and though the dialog was sort of like being stuck in close quarters with a bunch of teenagers speaking some foreign broken language, I got some good laughs. I don't think most of the older generation will enjoy it as much as I did though, which probably says something about my level of maturity... which is pretty low I must admit. I think the rating curve on this film probably goes down with age for most people. From the music to the characters, it's pretty hipster cool.

What's not to like? Well, like it said, it's pretty odd which may throw some for a loop. Cera plays pretty much the same character he plays in every film, which can get a bit annoying. As far as the plot goes, there's really not much to it. The execution of the plot is pretty sweet, but the plot itself is pretty straightforward. The pace of the movie is quick though, so there's really not time to sit and dwell on plot points.

While no classic, I found it to be a pretty refreshing, inventive and funny movie. For those who claim Hollywood churns out the same old thing all the time I give you this stylish and original piece of work.

7.5/10