vendredi 12 novembre 2010

The Weekend Is Upon Us

Oh it's Friday people. You know how I know? Because hundreds of people on Facebook let me know, that's how. Every Friday. How did I survive before all these earth-shattering Facebook updates? How did I ever live without knowing what a random human I attended school with 20+ years ago had for dinner last night? And when they're going to bed? It's a mystery.

What did I do last night? Well, since you asked, and you did ask (remember?), I along with a couple of other fun seeking headbangers drove 2 hours each way to the big city of Jonesboro, Arkansas and watched Clutch and 2Cents at a place called The Brickhouse. I went to college in Jonesboro several centuries ago and it was a dry county except for a few private clubs (and our frat house). Now it's a dry county... except for all the bars everywhere. How does that work? We pub-hopped in the downtown district without buying any memberships or anything just like we were in a wet county. Of course, I did bad enough in college without the lure of a bar district so what do I really care? I guess I could have gotten an F minus?

But back to the show. 2Cents was alright but we missed the beginning of their set and then were getting beer for a few songs. By the set break we had our beers and made our way right in front of the stage, prime mosh pit area we figured unfortunately. Once Clutch hit the stage our fears were confirmed and we got tossed and turned for a few songs like babies in a room full of British nannies before finding some steadier ground 10 or 15 feet back. We were still in prime position and Clutch really went off while the crowd havok took over. Great set and I managed to be soaked in sweat and horse from screaming lyrics so that's a good achievement. Maybe the 5th or 6th time I've seen Clutch and this was one of the better times, probably do to the intamacy of the venue. It was small, packed and crazy and I must say I was very impressed with the Jonesboro crowd as they brought the noise quite well. I've said it before but I shall now reiterate... if you like live music you MUST see Clutch. Even if it means getting home to your cozy bed at 2 in the morning on a work day. Sacrifice baby.

Lots going on in Crackerland what with the holiday coming up. I'm training for my first ever marathon in March, the Little Rock Marathon. We're at week 8 of a 24 week training regime so by my math, that's like 50%! My biggest run yet is tomorrow... 12 miles. Hooray! Probably in the rain. Hip hip hooray! I'm considering a half-marathon as sort of prep work in early December, so pray for me or sacrifice chickens or cook toads or whatever you choose to do. That's your business. Please, no voodoo dolls though.

Back to your regularly scheduled videos, comics, reviews and blabber over the weekend.

And when all else fails, just remember the wise words of Clutch's Neil Fallon: "Oh, but to just dine on sewage, cold seagull pie/Wrestle albino alligators and spin the good lie."

Um. Ok.