samedi 20 novembre 2010

UFC 123 Tonight

I think it's a pretty decent card tonight from Michigan for UFC 123: Rampage vs. Machida. Overall no single fight is really a main eventer in my opinion, but the top 2 fights are both pretty exciting match-ups. I guess it's just the fact that there are no belts on the line that sort of has me feeling "meh" about the whole thing.

Here's the main card on PPV:

* Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
* Matt Hughes vs. B.J. Penn
* Joe Lauzon vs. George Sotiropoulos
* Tim Boetsch vs. Phil Davis
* Maiquel Falcao vs. Gerald Harris

And the prelims on Spike TV:

* Matt Brown vs. Brian Foster
* Mark Munoz vs. Aaron Simpson

Let's start with Matt Hughes vs B.J. Penn. This will be their third fight and it's 1-1 between them but after Hughes beat BJ at UFC 63 he dropped the title and 3 out of his next 4 fights. Then just when I thought he was done and just having 1 more fight with Matt Serra, he beat him and then stopped Renzo Gracie and Ricardo Almeida, wowing me a bit in the process. BJ has lost 2 straight decisions to Frankie Edgar though and the first cost him the title. Is Frankie just a bad match-up for BJ? Or is he as uninterested as he seems? He's lost 3 out of his last 5 fights. See what I mean? A good fight... should be. A co-main event? I don't think so.

Then there's Rampage vs Machida, 2 former champs. Rampage just got beat by Rashad Evans and the fight before that went the distance with Jardine, and although that was a great fight it seems everybody has been knocking Jardine out and he's not even in the UFC any more. What worries me more is that in Rampage's last 5 fights, 4 have gone the distance and 2 of those were 5 rounders. Machida just lost the belt after getting destroyed by Maurício Rua and while he won the fight before that according to the judges... he really didn't. So really he's on a 2 fight losing streak himself.

So... fun, interesting fights? I think so, just no main event really. I'll be watching though. Lots of good young, hungry guys on the undercard and the winners of the co-main events will be back in the long line for title shots at least.

Here's some videos to get you ready: