mardi 27 juillet 2010

Book Review: Elvis and Me

Elvis and Me
by Priscilla Presley w/Sandra Harmon

Synopsis: Priscilla Presley, the woman whom Elvis decided to marry when she was an innocent fourteen-year-old girl, writes candidly about their twelve years together. She talks about Elvis the husband and father, his drug-wracked decline and death.

Oh you know I loves me some Elvis. But believe it or not... I'd never read this book. Sue me. So now I have and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Oh it's not perfect as I felt like very often the side of the story I got from Priscilla was what she wanted to believe or at least wants us to believe, moreso than the truth. Elvis isn't here to defend himself or his actions, which frankly quite often make him look like a controlling, manipulative, arrogant pig. Which, maybe he was at times, but she admits to a couple of affairs herself but almost seems to slant them to where they were the fault of Elvis, pushing her into them. She seems to always come out the victim here. She really degrades Elvis a lot and doesn't paint the prettiest picture of him. But hey, I expect that sort of thing with a book like this. Just like when a couple of friends get divorced, you have to read between the lines and always know there are 2 sides to the story. Here's one side of it.

But a lot of the other aspects of the book are great for an Elvis fan like me. You get a real good behind the scenes look at Graceland and what it was like to hang out there with Elvis' family and posse. She talks a bit about how he felt about his music and movie career during the time she was around. Obviously you get a lot of info about what it was like to be caught up in the whirlwind of fame of being married to the King of Rock N Roll. All of these things really made the book worth reading for me.

So for a fan of the King, I think you have to read this book. But you also have to read between the lines. It's very entertaining and interesting, but it's not hard to see why so many of his fans really dislike Priscilla to this day. I say for a full picture of the man, read various opinions and form your own. This is one piece to the puzzle.

7/10