lundi 31 janvier 2011

Movie Review: The Mechanic

Synopsis: Follows an elite hit man (Jason Statham) as he teaches his trade to an apprentice (Ben Foster) who has a connection to one of his previous victims.

Do you like violence and lots of action-movie cliches? You've come to the right place in this movie if so. It's loaded with both. I know what to expect when I see one of Jason's movies, and this one delivers on the gunfights, beatings and car chases for sure. It's just that the character he plays in this one isn't as cool or (remotely) likable I think and there's not as much creativity at work as say Crank or The Transporter.

In fact, in my opinion it's one of those films where everybody sucks. I "didn't have a dog in the fight" so to speak, meaning I didn't have a hero. It's like watching wrestling and there's an all bad guy battle royal. In the end you want some action but don't really care who wins.

And why Statham would take on this new apprentice is beyond me from the beginning. The guy is a psychopath and a loose cannon. Jason's character has done so well with his career as a hitman and is totally under the radar while making his hits look like accidents or at the least not attracting attention, then he takes this loudmouth who threatens to blow all that he's worked for out of the water, and low and behold he does. Plus he knows from the start he can't trust the guy. I'm just not sure the main plot point of the movie even makes any sense. Sure, I know he feels guilty and blah blah blah... but still. Dumb.

But don't get me wrong here, I know this type of film really isn't about character development or depth and I went in expecting relentless blood-letting and in-your-face violence and that's what I got. It's a fun movie once your brain is disconnected, which should be as soon as the previews are over. And there's nothing wrong with that.

6.5/10