samedi 21 mai 2011

R.I.P. Randy Savage

Everybody is talking about Randy "Macho Man" Savage passing away yesterday, so since he was actually a big part of my life as a wrestling fan in the 80s I figured I should throw out some words on the legend.

You see I grew up watching Memphis wrestling. About the time I was graduating high school in 1984 Randy Savage was there cutting his teeth in Memphis and the surrounding area. He feuded with local icon Jerry "The King" Lawler over the AWA Southern Heavyweight Championship and teamed with "Leapin" Lanny Poffo to battle The Rock 'n' Roll Express. I can remember Randy "injuring" Ricky Morton by piledriving him through the timekeeper's table and him later turning "good guy" and teaming Lawler against Jimmy Hart's First Family stable. Obviously, as seems to always happen in rasslin', he eventually turned on Lawler and resumed the awesome feud with him over for title belt, leading to an eventual Loser Leaves Town match (what else?). Of course there was the huge WWF run and the Hulk Hogan days and all, but I'll never forget all the fun on Saturday mornings on Memphis wrestling. R.I.P. Randy.

"Fight Network remembers pro-wrestling legend Randy Savage (Randy Poffo) who passed away tragically on May 20, 2011."