dimanche 20 février 2011

Movie Review: My Soul To Take

Synopsis: A serial killer returns to his hometown to stalk seven children who share the same birthday as the date he was allegedly put to rest.

So here we have Wes Craven's first film that he's both written and directed since his Nightmare On Elm Street days (New Nightmare in 1994 was his last). Either I expected too much or he's just lost his touch, because this is pretty weak.

Let's get what I liked out of the way first. I liked that the actors playing a bunch of 16 year-old high school kids actually look like high school kids and not 23-year Abercrombie models like a lot of films. And that pretty much ends my list of likes.

My biggest complaint about the whole film is that he has all the victims lined-up but there's absolutely no cat-and-mouse to most of the deaths and none are creative at all. They just sort of turn around and bam... the killer stabs them. So when you have a film in the slasher genre, to me it should be punctuated by the chases and kills... and these are boring.

But on top of just being a boring movie that clocks in way too long for what it is, it's just so formulaic and messy. It's too bad too really, as a few of the ideas and the atmosphere got my hopes up occasionally. I was entertained a few times but when it's all said and done it's just instantly forgettable, which then takes me back to the whole expectations thing.

And I saw this in 2D but I can't figure out for the life of me why in the world this would be in 3D to begin with or how that could possibly add to any enjoyment. I can't think of 1 single scene that would have really benefited from me wearing those stupid glasses for nearly 2 hours.

4/10