mardi 22 février 2011

Movie Review: I Spit On Your Grave

Synopsis: A female writer looking for seclusion in the country is brutalized during her cabin retreat, then seeks revenge on her attackers who had left her for dead.

Yet another horror remake from Hollywood, this one of the controversial cult classic of the same name from back in 1978. I saw that one at a drive-in theater (along with Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things) and was repulsed, but of course I was a wee lad and that was approximately 10,000 horror movies ago. This new version didn't repulse me, I'm about as desensitized as anybody to this stuff, but I felt like not only is it just as powerful but even BETTER than the original in my opinion. I wasn't a huge fan of the original anyway, but this one had me cheering the revenge-seeking woman on.

Nothing fresh or original, but it's well made with good performances and is wildly violent, sleezy, graphic, sadistic, mean and just damn gory. I thought this one felt more "real" mainly due to the actors. I like that the sexual assault wasn't drawn out or as sickening (but yes, still sick) and then when she seeks vengeance it's even more violent and elaborate. And dare I say satisfying. I dare. The kills are pretty creative and she makes them suffer before snuffing them out, satisfying her lust for revenge.

You don't watch this, you survive it. There's a whole lot of tension and it becomes a very emotional watch so by the time it ends it's almost exhausting. It'll be a while before I re-watch it.

7/10