mardi 23 août 2011

On This Day...

A quick peak at the ole "this day in history" list which I check daily told me it was some pretty cool people's birthdays.



For one, it's the birthday of Arkansan and 10X Major League Baseball All-Star George Kell (1922). One of my all-time favorites, he won a batting title in 1949, denying Ted Williams a triple crown. Kell was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee in 1983. A memorable quote from his induction speech at the Hall of Fame goes as follows, "I have always said that George Kell has taken more from this great game of baseball than he can ever give back. And now I know, I am deeper in debt than ever before." He was born in Swifton, AR and played baseball at Arkansas State University (where I went!). Kell served ten years on the Arkansas State Highway Commission (1973–83) and owned a car dealership, George Kell Motors, in Newport, which I've driven by a thousand times. Kell died at age 86 in his sleep in his hometown of Swifton, Arkansas on March 24, 2009.



Also, the great dancer Gene Kelly (1912), the beautiful Barbara Eden (1934... oh how I loved this woman growing up! I Dream of Jeannie anyone?), Who drummer Keith Moon (1946), outstanding guitarist Gary Hoey (1960), NBA great Kobe Bryant (1978)and former lead singer for a band I loved in the 80s, Survivor, Jimi Jamison (1951). That's a pretty good crew to share a birthday with if you do! But I've saved the greatest for last.



Richard Lewis Springthorpe was born on the 23rd of August, 1949. You might know him better as Rick Springfield. The Australian hearthrob wasn't only a soap opera star (Dr. Noah Drake thankyouverymuch) but a rocker as well... and he's still going. A new feature documentary titled "An Affair of the Heart: The Journey of Rick Springfield and his Devoted Fans" was filmed in 2010 and will be premiering in Malibu on September 26, 2011. The film is about the 30-year connection Rick shares with his ardently loyal fans and the inspiration/power of music in our lives. He was hilarious on Showtime's Californication show recently and he had a guest spot on Hawaii Five-0. But this is as good as it gets right here...